Saying good-bye is never easy. As a Military family, we have had our share of good-byes. It never gets easier.
This morning I said good-bye to a good friend. She is moving back out east with her family. They leave on Thursday. I haven't known this friend long. I only met her when I moved here this summer. But she, along with a few other amazing women, have made the move to this new Province not only bearable, but really freakin' fun! I could have never guessed that I would leave Quebec with a group of life long friends... also known as "The Bitches". Unfortunately this summer, one by one, at least 3 of the fantastic people I have met here will move. Posting season happens every year. It always sucks.
So as posting messages come in & houses sell, 3 of my new friends will leave. Then it will be my turn again. This time, however, I am moving away from the Military, not with it... & that makes me sad.
As I said good-bye to my friend this morning, it occurred to me that we won't run in to each other again. We will, of course, make efforts to stay in touch & have visits, but we won't ever live in the same place again. You see, when you are in the Canadian Forces, good-bye isn't always final. You may be posted away somewhere for 3 or 4 years & then posted again back with people you left the first time. Or, in some cases, posted somewhere new again but with people you knew from years before. It is a smaller world than one can imagine. I have even heard stories of people who were PMQ neighbors that get posted their separate ways only to wind up a few years later as PMQ neighbors again, on a different base. Running in to other Military folks where you least expect it is very common. I will miss this familiarity dearly when I leave.
So as I said good-bye to my friend & tried not to get teary eyed, I realized that my good-byes seem more final than they did a few short moths ago. When we posted here, I still felt like part of the Military community. It is a truly incredible experience to move to a new province & make such great friends in only a few months time. I have met so many wonderful people through my Military connection. I have deep, secure relationships with people I would have never met if I had stayed in my hometown. I am really thankful for being able to have such experiences.
This will be a huge good-bye for me. I will say good-bye to my friends here, my house, my vehicle, half of my furniture & the city I live in. I will say good-bye to an entire community & a totally separate lifestyle. I will say good-bye to the Military. That does make me sad. I can only hope that even though I have to say good-bye to the Canadian Forces way of life, that I will someday be able to visit... even for a short time to reminisce about the "good ol' days".
Me.
No comments:
Post a Comment